National Homemade Cookies Day is October 1!
Any day can be a homemade cookie day, if you like to bake cookies.
Cookie Baking Tips
- Most cookie recipes have butter or a fat component. The butter should be soft, but cool, almost room temperature.
- Cream the butter and sugar together to create a smooth, fluffy mixture, so the sugar isn’t grainy.
- Use proper measuring cups for the job. Liquid measuring cups are larger than the amount needed, clear with lines for visual confirmation of the amount of liquid, and have a spout for pouring. Dry measuring cups are designed to be filled to the top with the exact amount.
- Use a stand up mixer if you can
If you aren't the type to mix you own cookies, you can still bake them with the break-up cookie!
- Line metal baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats to prevent the cookies from spreading too far. Or, use a baking stone to have evenly baked cookies every time.
- Take them out of the oven right as they start to become golden on the edges
- For a delicious extra hot of flavor, sprinkle course salt on the warm cookies as they cool
- Let them "set" (aka cool.) They will cook just a little bit more.
Style and serve them on a beautiful serving board, parchment and all, and watch the crowd go wild!