Giving Tuesday: Alabama Appleseed
Alabama Sawyer is supporting Alabama Appleseed, in the company of the many (many!) outstanding nonprofits for the Giving Tuesday campaign on Tuesday, November 30, 2021, by donating 10% of all sales completed on Tuesday to Appleseed.
This global day of giving highlights the important work accomplished because of generous donors everywhere.
Appleseed legal advocacy and support for older, formerly incarcerated men changes lives. Appleseed is proud to stand with people who have turned their lives around and are returning to Alabama communities after decades behind bars. These men leave prison with nothing and support is desperately needed.
As their client Michael Schumacher explained in a recent presentation, the prison gave him $10 and a one-way ticket to the county of arrest, where he would not have a clue what to do, with his family gone and so many changes in the world. Because of supporters like you, Appleseed has provided his transportation, housing, and a warm embrace into a new life of hope. Michael, a gentle soul and former prison Scrabble champion, is starting over at age 61.
From securing social security cards, driver's licenses, and bank accounts; to scheduling medical appointments; to teaching our clients about cell phones, food safety, and more.
- $21 covers the fee to secure a client’s birth certificate
- $36.25 covers the fee for a driver’s license or ID
- $50 covers a tank of gas for our Re-entry Coordinator to drive clients to their necessary appointments weekly
- $100 covers a week of housing for one of our clients
- $500 covers a post-release shopping trip for our clients for basic necessities and a wardrobe, including interview clothing